Today, 24/3/2020, on the interface of Google homepage in some countries such as Vietnam, USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, there is an image of Vietnamese bread with the same phrase. “Honoring Vietnamese bread”.
This is the first time in history Google designed Doodle to honor bread – a popular dish of Vietnamese people.
The 9th-anniversary “Bánh Mì” is included in the Oxford English Dictionary
With so many ingredients to make a sandwich – a popular food for Vietnamese people for breakfast – Google says that the Vietnamese “Bánh Mì” represents the exquisite fusion of Vietnamese cuisine of the world.
On this day in 2011 (March 24, 2011), the word ” Bánh Mì” was included in the Oxford English Dictionary – the world’s first English dictionary.
Specifically, Oxford English Dictionary adds the word “Bánh Mì” to the dictionary and explains that it is Vietnamese food. “Bánh Mì” (specifical sandwiches) is made up of sliced bread, including pate, meat, vegetables, sauce, chili sauce …
Some people believe that “Bánh Mì” first appeared in small streets in the late 1950s in Saigon. However, the origin of “Bánh Mì” still unknown. Just know that Vietnamese bread is inspired by French baguette bread. Later, the Vietnamese people add other ingredients and spices created a Vietnamese sandwich.
In 2018, CNN favored the bread in Hoi An as “The King of Sandwiches in the World”.
Amazing! Only by replacing the European flavors with Vietnamese ingredients, Vietnamese people have created a dish which only coming here, foreign visitors have the opportunity to enjoy it.
In 2016, “Bánh Mì” with “Phở” and “Bún chả” reached the top 100 world famous dishes.
The event “Honor Vietnamese Bread”, Google contributes to promote the special dish of Vietnamese people to the world. Not only Google, many famous organizations and newspapers have also honored this fascinating dish:
On March 24, 2011, the word “Bread” was honored in the Oxford dictionary.
- In 2013, Vietnamese bread was voted as one of the 11 best street foods in the world by National Geographic magazine.
- Topped the list of 12 street food by American travel magazine Conde ’Nast Traveler.
- In 2014, Vietnamese bread ranked in the top 20 world’s best street food of Huffington Post.
- In 2016, “Bánh Mì“, ” Phở” and “Bún chả” were ranked in the top 100 world-famous dishes, announced by the World Record Alliance – Wordkings and the World Top Institute.
- In 2017, Vietnamese bread made the top 10 most attractive sandwiches in the world according to Traveler.
- In 2018, CNN favored the bread in Hoi An as “The King of Sandwiches in the World”.
Posts using source: Google Doodle, Young Intellectuals